Kicksecure-xfce-host not installable in debian 12 (removed dependency)

https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default&section=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=xserver-xorg-video-qxl

Removed from bookworm.

1 Like

Affects Kicksecure KVM only.

Whonix is also affected, reported here just now:

If not resolved at time when porting to Debian 12, I would have to remove that dependency package.

I am not a maintainer of Kicksecure KVM.

//cc @HulaHoop

I think QXL gpu has been deprecated in favor of virtio-gpu which means qxl support packages are obsolete and may no longer be needed. @nurmagoz any problems when removing it from a running install?

hmm not sure i get what do you mean by “removing it from a running
install” do you have specific instructions how to do that?

This is easier said than done. Since a meta package depends on the QXL package, makes it hard to remove it. Let alone removing any dependencies that QXL Depends: on. I don’t think any user will be capable of doing that.

related:

[Help Welcome] KVM Development - staying the course - #504 by Patrick - KVM - Whonix Forum

FYI it looks like xserver-xorg-video-qxl was re-introduced to Bookworm on 2023 January 8. Probably not relevant since the QXL GPU is no longer used, but if the removal is discovered to introduce some kind of issue, it should be possible to bring it back without breaking Bookworm compatibility.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up.

This change is now in the stable repository.

Something more to do here?

I just tested it now, and everything is working well.

1 Like