Printer Troubles

Hello.

I am having troubles connecting to my Brother HL-L2350DW WiFi printer (no USB; it’s a laptop). I just installed Kicksecure, so I am trying to figure out why my LibreOffice documents won’t print. I installed the system-config-printer app to connect to my printer. I asked the Debian community in another forum what packages I’m missing. They told me to install some packages from the Debian repos (which they kindly provided), and I obliged. My printer does show up in the Printer Config app under the Network section when you try to add a printer.

But I cannot connect to it. Everytime I think I have made a successful connection to my Brother printer, I cannot print a test page. So I delete the entry and start over again!

I either get 2 things: The previously mentioned “successful connection”, OR this error message POP-UP CUPS server error. There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'server-error-internal-error'.

I have tried disabling CUPS’s AppArmor profiles into complain mode, but still no avail!

I have even tried this solution with Brother’s official “.deb” printer package:

httpswwwlinuxquestionsorgquestions/linux-hardware-18/installation-of-brother-printer-drivers-and-device-uri-number-4175698450

I ultimately believe I am fundamentally encountering a skill issue: I do not adequately know how to troubleshoot printer problems on Linux. I don’t know where to look on my system! Is it /var/logs?? Do I look there? I know my printer DOES WORK because I have successfully printed a CUPS Test Page from Linux Mint. I just did that 4 weeks ago!

Please help me. Debian or Kicksecure is kicking my ass.

I don’t know that either. That stuff can be tough.

This is a small forum and I guess unfortunately it’s unlikely someone will be able to help with such a specific issue.

The boilerplate reply in these case:

Could be.

Mostly journalctl nowadays for systems based on systemd. → Troubleshooting - Kicksecure chapter System Logs in Kicksecure wiki

But printer specific log files could be elsewhere.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I will try to reproduce this error on a vanilla Debian install.

Thank you for suggesting journalctl. I will try to Scooby Doo this further.

Like, tyvm for replying. I am very aware this is a small forum and just receiving a reply is reward enough. Thank you!