Usb iso boot loop

hi,

tried to boot from USB to install kicksecure as host system .

when i select the first boot option from grub

errors shown and nothing happen further .

some of these errors shown

wrong fs type
dracut-initqueue
dracut fatal failed to find a root filesystem
system halted

is there any chance to get it working or choose another option

if there is no fix , i can understand kicksecure is not supported nor compatible with my hardware unlike debian

Just morph Debian into Kicksecure. I installed Kicksecure host, but it seems to me that it needs to be improved - there are many minor bugs that are published on this forum. I installed Debian and then Kicksecure - it works great. I am very satisfied

What did you do?

Written the Kicksecure Live ISO and Installer to USB, booted it. That worked, I suppose?

Then you started the calamares installer and installed to internal disk?

Doesn’t seem like a hardware issue. Boot issue. But equally difficult to fix.

yest through gnome-disk-utility

i can boot from USB

Then you started the calamares installer and installed to internal disk?

No

the GRUB Boot Loader appears , but when i select kicksecure on top of grub blue screen then errors follows and hangs on black screen texts

Doesn’t seem like a hardware issue. Boot issue. But equally difficult to fix.

Never seen a linux distro that wont boot due to boot issue, this is related to kicksecure on its own IMO

correct as per docs
No stable version available for users yet: There is no ETA (estimated time of arrival) yet. Users who want a stable version should [choose another option instead.

you mean morph Debian are stable and bug free?

Could be.

To debug further, would require debugging dracut, which isn’t easy.

That means enabling verbose kernel messages, enabling debug mode in dracut.

There is How to debug Dracut problems - Fedora Project Wiki but these instructions might be too difficult for users to follow.

• Remove rhgb and quiet from the kernel command line

We’re not using rhgb but quiet.

“remove from kernel command line” also is quite of an assumption that users know how to do that. Even just removing quiet from kernel command line might help to show what is happening. Perhaps it is a hardware issue but that is not clear yet. Even it it is, it might be fixable with other kernel parameters.

Kernel Boot Parameter Change documents how to change kernel command line.

Next issue is, even after enabling the debug log, it needs to be transferred to USB so it can be copied into the forums for analysis.

Also not trivial and most users don’t have this kind of frustration tolerance so these issues remain unfixed until someone shows up who does.

That looks very hard for normal user
doesn’t matter but still very informative.

either dist-morph or best at VM the way to go.

Thanks anyway

While kicksecure is great, the only concern is compared to a standard, rolling release distro due to debian philosophy packages are outdated hence bad for keeping close to upstream and bad for security

Correct me if i am wrong

Only required are time and sufficient motivation. Difficulty is not the issue.

1 Like

Great news !

I have tried to convert debian to kicksecure, but it seems it wont transform Debian in genuine kicksecure iso
synaptic packet manager still exist there
design xfce look and colors don’t match

downloaded today kicksecure iso , this time used etcher for Linux . and see
everything works fine, except one error during boot time
[FAILED] : failed to mount sysroot.mount -/sysroot.
The error appeared also on virtual box .

I don’t know how serious the error is and what it means

But after the error windows boots fine .

Kicksecure on its own is awesome, lightweight and fast.

1- it would be nice if possible to install encrypted lvm ?
2- either gnome flash tool or recent version caused boot loop error. i dont know

Known issue, its ok to proceed.

LVM is unsupported at the moment due to calamares lacks it. Setting it up as post-installation is risky for data loss.

Provide more details, the sentence looks ambiguous to me.

because by first at time of topic creation i have tried ventoy then gnome disk utility to flash ISO when i got boot loop .with no sucess

Calamares installer supports encryption.

Do you really need LVM necessarily? Use case?

“Keep in mind that AI can hallucinate, so again always verify the information using primary sources.”

95 % of blog sites about IT are based on chat gpt copy paste .
I dont read any content based on chatgpt .
I hate AI , its not helpful nor was able to find forgotten quote i looked for until searched deep manually without AI

As newcomer i will discuss lvm afterward related to PDE
maybe in case of hiding encryption

I am not aware LVM helps with Plausible Deniability / Unallocated space.